Hi everyone,

I agree with Michel Grossetti, the main question resides in the very
idea of quality of ties and how one defines it.
If quality means something inherent to how satisfying, pleasant or
convenient the tie may be, we obviously need a suitable index for each
dimension.

However, I also agree with Claude S. Fischer that what we measure may
not refer to quality indeed, but to some quantifiable aspect of the
tie, i.e. a "quantity" related to interactions or even to flows of
information, resources, and the like.
Hence, I would not speak of measuring the quality of ties, which
instead requires a "thick description" of the substance of
relationships, and this would be a complement to "quantity".

Best

Marco