Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 11:02:55 +0000
From: "[utf-8] Complexity Digest" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[utf-8] Barry" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [utf-8] Latest Complexity Digest Posts

Learn about the latest and greatest related to complex systems research. More at http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=d1a1a5b824&e=55e25a0e3e

Thinking in Eigenbehaviors as a Transdisciplinary Approach

    http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=10e187673d&e=55e25a0e3e

Context: By proposing to regard objects as ˙˙tokens for eigenbehavior,˙˙
von Foerster˙˙s seminal paper opposes the intuitive subject-object dualism
of traditional philosophy, which considers objects to be instances of an
external world Problem: We argue that this proposal has two implications,
one for epistemology and one for the demarcation between the natural
sciences and the humanities. Method: Our arguments are based on insights
gained in computational models and from reviewing the contributions to
this special issue. Results: Epistemologically, von Foerster˙˙s proposal
suggests that what is called ˙˙reality˙˙ could be seen as an ensemble of
eigenforms generated by the eigenbehavior that arises in the interaction
of multiple dynamics. Regarding science, the contributions to this special
issue demonstrate that the concept of eigenbehavior can be applied to a
variety of disciplines from the formal and natural sciences to the
humanities. Its universal applicability provides a strong argument for
transdisciplinarity, and its emphasis on the observer points in the
direction of an observer-inclusive science. Implications: Thinking in
eigenbehavior may not only have implications for tearing down the barriers
between sciences and humanities (although a common methodology based on
von Foerster˙˙s transdisciplinary approach is still to crystalize), a
better understanding of eigenbehaviors may also have profound effects on
our understanding of ourselves. This also opens the way to innovative
behavior design/modification technologies.

Thinking in Eigenbehaviors as a Transdisciplinary Approach

Manfred Füllsack & Alexander Riegler

Constructivist Foundations 12(3): 239˙˙245

Source: www.univie.ac.at (http://unam.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=6b4186d451&e=55e25a0e3e)

The scientists˙˙ apprentice (How AI is transforming science)

    Big data has met its match. In field after field, the ability to
collect data has exploded, overwhelming human insight and analysis. But
the computing advances that helped deliver the data have also conjured
powerful new tools for making sense of it all. In a revolution that
extends across much of science, researchers are unleashing artificial
intelligence (AI), often in the form of artificial neural networks, on
these mountains of data. Unlike earlier attempts at AI, such ˙˙deep
learning˙˙ systems don˙˙t need to be programmed with a human expert˙˙s
knowledge. Instead, they learn on their own, often from large training
data sets, until they can see patterns and spot anomalies in data sets far
larger and messier than human beings can cope with.

The scientists' apprentice
Tim Appenzeller
Science  07 Jul 2017:
Vol. 357, Issue 6346, pp. 16-17
DOI: 10.1126/science.357.6346.16

Source: science.sciencemag.org (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=be96b29ba1&e=55e25a0e3e)

The strange topology that is reshaping physics

    http://unam.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=aca9c2120d&e=55e25a0e3e

Topological effects might be hiding inside perfectly ordinary materials, waiting to reveal bizarre new particles or bolster quantum computing.

Source: www.nature.com (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=49214f1939&e=55e25a0e3e)

When the Map Is Better Than the Territory

    http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=f721f486b5&e=55e25a0e3e

The causal structure of any system can be analyzed at a multitude of
spatial and temporal scales. It has long been thought that while higher
scale (macro) descriptions may be useful to observers, they are at best a
compressed description and at worse leave out critical information and
causal relationships. However, recent research applying information theory
to causal analysis has shown that the causal structure of some systems can
actually come into focus and be more informative at a macroscale. That is,
a macroscale description of a system (a map) can be more informative than
a fully detailed microscale description of the system (the territory).
This has been called ˙˙causal emergence.˙˙ While causal emergence may at
first seem counterintuitive, this paper grounds the phenomenon in a
classic concept from information theory: Shannon˙˙s discovery of the
channel capacity. I argue that systems have a particular causal capacity,
and that different descriptions of those systems take advantage of that
capacity to various degrees. For some systems, only macroscale
descriptions use the full causal capacity. These macroscales can either be
coarse-grains, or may leave variables and states out of the model
(exogenous, or ˙˙black boxed˙˙) in various ways, which can improve the
efficacy and informativeness via the same mathematical principles of how
error-correcting codes take advantage of an information channel˙˙s
capacity. The causal capacity of a system can approach the channel
capacity as more and different kinds of macroscales are considered.
Ultimately, this provides a general framework for understanding how the
causal structure of some systems cannot be fully captured by even the most
detailed microscale description

When the Map Is Better Than the Territory
Erik P. Hoel

Entropy 2017, 19(5), 188; doi:10.3390/e19050188

Source: www.mdpi.com (http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=6c33be7c57&e=55e25a0e3e)

Complexities of Time

    http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=6c9781248b&e=55e25a0e3e

This 7th Complexity Conference, organised by Para Limes˙˙ (http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=97a7537f79&e=55e25a0e3e) attempts to unravel these mysteries. It will also touches on the nature of time and change, geographical, geophysical, cultural, the personal dimensions to time; how to deal with them and what they mean for analyzing and understanding our past, sensing and exploring our future and how to manage our lives, our systems, or the world we live in. Hear them out from top-notch speakers of prominent scientists and thinkers from this field

The conference will also host parallel & poster sessions and launch of the Asian Network of Complexity Scientists by the Complexity Institute. Thus is a partnership of the Para Limes and Complexity Institute.˙˙

Complexity Conference 2018
Theme: Complexities of Time