​Laura,

I have to admit, I would agree with Dan that Simmelian ties is an
interesting way to approach this question.   The only twist I would add is
that the Simmelian argument is not one about tie strength:  It is about how
embedding a tie within a group (clique) makes a qualitative difference in
the relationship.  My favorite example is from Simmel himself: Consider a
couple, enjoying their relationship, time together, perhaps doing some
things separately, going to the movies, cooking, etc.  ​They develop a
routine of activities, expectations, etc.  Then they have a kid.  All of a
sudden the relationship between the two changes.  Rules of interaction
change.  THe roles change.  It's not only that the relationship is stronger
and more stable (it's harder to separate when there is a kid involved), it
is qualitatively different, deeper, changed by being embedded in a group.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents.

-David

David Krackhardt, Professor of Organizations, Executive Editor of JoSS
Heinz College of Public Policy and Management, and
     The Tepper School of Business
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-4758