Dear Claude

All measurements of a tie constitute proxies of relations.  Positive,
negative, indifferent and everything in between.

Your grouchy uncle is a kinship tie you have no choice over.  You may never
built a relationship with him, as I would assume is the case for the
majority of one's kinship network.  It could be further argued that
although you do not like your uncle he could be "forced" to offer you a job
by the fact that he is embedded in other relations among your kin.

A choice to interact (bar conflict) over long periods of time should
indicate something about ego.  Now if one hates those interactions, is
oppressed by them or consider them mandatory under some social convention
there is extensive sociology and social psychology to describe their
predicament.  But is is not an unreasonable assumption that interaction
frequency indicates affinity.

So, although frequency and duration of interaction on its own may not give
an indication of quality, the issue here is not about the measured
relations but about  the variable of interest.  In this case quality, for
which it would be very difficult to construct a definition.   And I agree
with David and Dan that Simmelian ties can act as a proxy of something
substantial in relations.  And depending on context this maybe quality,
embeddedness or something else.

best

Dimitris

Dr Dimitris Christopoulos
Dean of Executive Education & MBA,
MU Vienna
&
Associate Research Professor
Edinburgh Business School

'Prescriptive conflict prevention analysis: ...the Austrian Flood Risk
Management Plan
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1462901116306281>'
*Environmental
Science & Policy*

'The impact of social networks on leadership behaviour
<http://mio.sagepub.com/content/9/2059799116630649.full>' *Methodological
Innovations*

Venture Capital Finance in Vienna
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290434110_Venture_Capital_Investor_Strategies_in_Vienna>
, Wirtschafts Kammer Wien

' <http://journals.cambridge.org/repo_A94zOINj.>
...Political entrepreneurs and brokers in policy making’
<http://journals.cambridge.org/repo_A94zOINj.> The European
Political Science Review

‘The Motivation of Social Entrepreneurs
<http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/19420676.2014.954254> ...’