The Ecological-Community Psychology program at Michigan State University is accepting applications for PhD study (online system opens 9/15/17). It is the oldest and largest Community Psychology program in the United States, with eleven nationally and internationally recognized core faculty, and graduate alumni working in universities and communities around the country. We are committed to working alongside communities to address the issues they find most pressing. Our approach to community research and action emphasizes the relationship between individuals and the larger systems in which they are embedded. Our graduate program involves a combination of community-based practical experience, classroom-based instruction, and collaborative research to equip students with cutting-edge methods and theories for creating community change.

We are especially interested in receiving applications from prospective graduate students interested in networks, including network-based interventions and using structural logic to address community issues. Core faculty in the program maintain research projects involving the substantive application of network analysis and the development of network science methods, and regularly offer graduate-level courses on network analysis and agent-based modeling. To learn about some ongoing network-related research projects in the program, see: http://mispi.psy.msu.edu and http://www.urbannetworks.org.

To learn more about the program, or to apply, visit: https://psychology.msu.edu/programs/ecological-community

Prospective students are encouraged to contact Zachary Neal ([log in to unmask]) for more information about the program and the application process.

What is community psychology?
Community psychology is an interdisciplinary field that draws on psychology, sociology, public health, and other fields to improve the lives of people in their communities through a combination of research and action. In the United States, it was born out of the 1965 Swampscott Conference, where psychologists were increasingly questioning the value of individual-focused treatments for mental health, and sought more community-based solutions. Today, Community Psychology and Community Psychologists address a wide range of issues that still include mental health, but also include violence against women, public education, community economic development, health disparities, and others.

–––
Zachary Neal, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Psychology
Managing Editor, Journal of Urban Affairs
Associate Editor, Evidence and Policy
Michigan State University
316 Physics Road, Rm 262
East Lansing, MI 48824