*CFP for book chapters for Handbook of Anti-Environmentalism.*

*Handbook of Anti-Environmentalism*

*David Tindall, Mark C.J. Stoddart, and Riley E. Dunlap (Editors).*

*To be published by Edward Elgar Publishing.*

We seek chapter proposals for an edited volume to be published by Edward
Elgar Publishing on anti-environmental movements and mobilization. David
Tindall, Mark C.J. Stoddart, and Riley E. Dunlap will serve as editors
for this volume.

This book will focus on empirical research and theorizing about
movements, campaigns, and collective action against environmental
movements and environmental protection policies and programs writ
large.  Broadly speaking these efforts can be conceptualized as
“counter-movements.”

While there are a few exemplars of anti-environmental counter-movements,
such as the Wise Use Movement that emerged in the Western US in the
1980s and 1990s, or the contemporary climate change denial campaigns in
North America and Europe – we anticipate including studies examining a
wide variety of collective action against environmentalism and
environmental protection efforts, and plan to include cases that vary in
terms of geography (including developed and developing countries),
substantive environmental issues (forestry, fishing, mining, nuclear
power, climate change, wilderness protection, environmental justice,
environmental racism, etc), and political ideology.

With regard to the issue of political ideology, the exemplar cases
involved the mobilization of conservative actors against the
environmental movement, scientists, and governments. But other examples
might include: Indigenous groups that have mobilized against
environmental campaigns over issues like whale hunting or seal hunting,
and progressive social justice movements that have mobilized against
environmental movements that are seen as embodying neo-liberal agendas
that ignore or even promote environmental injustice. Other themes might
explore the roles of religion and culture (such as an adherence to
anthropocentrism, or commitment to consumerism) in catalyzing opposition
to environmentalism

One section of the book will focus on theoretical work. We anticipate
submissions on counter-movement theory, and other relevant theoretical
perspectives in environmental social science (including perspectives
that provides explanations for resistance to environmental protection
and sustainability in the context of politics, the economy, culture, and
social psychology).

Empirically, we would like to encourage the inclusion of diverse cases
that examine the breadth of anti-environmental movements. We are
interested in political economic accounts of anti-environmentalism,
including network analyses of corporate interlocks, and counter-movement
networks.

This will be a multi-disciplinary volume, and we anticipate
contributions from sociology, political science, anthropology,
geography, history, and other disciplines.

We encourage diverse methods, including quantitative, qualitative and
mixed-methods approaches, and studies that vary amongst micro, meso, and
macro analyses. We also encourage the submission of proposals for
historical analyses on this topic.

Details for Proposal Submissions:

For proposal submissions: Please provide a title, names and affiliations
of the authors, and a 250-400 word abstract.
Please e-mail these to David Tindall at: [log in to unmask]
Deadline for submission of chapter proposals: November 1st, 2017
Chapter selection will be made by December 15th, 2017, and a first draft
of book chapters will be due by July 1st, 2018.