Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 11:04:14 +0000
From: "[utf-8] Complexity Digest" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[utf-8] Barry" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [utf-8] Latest Complexity Digest Posts

Learn about the latest and greatest related to complex systems research. More at https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=12fdf5abb1&e=55e25a0e3e

Mobility can promote the evolution of cooperation via emergent self-assortment dynamics

    https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=9655f66408&e=55e25a0e3e

Cooperation among animals is ubiquitous. In a cooperative interaction, the cooperator confers a benefit to its partner at a personal cost. How does natural selection favour such a costly behaviour? Classical theories argue that cooperative interactions among genetic relatives, reciprocal cooperators, or among individuals within groups in viscous population structures are necessary to maintain cooperation. However, many organisms are mobile, and live in dynamic (fission-fusion) groups that constantly merge and split. In such populations, the above mechanisms may be inadequate to explain cooperation. Here, we develop a minimal model that explicitly accounts for mobility and cohesion among organisms. We find that mobility can support cooperation via emergent dynamic groups, even in the absence of previously known mechanisms. Our results may offer insights into the evolution of cooperation in animals that live in fission fusion groups, such as birds, fish or mammals, or microbes
living in turbulent media, such as in oceans or in the bloodstreams of animal hosts.

Joshi J, Couzin ID, Levin SA, Guttal V (2017) Mobility can promote the evolution of cooperation via emergent self-assortment dynamics. PLoS Comput Biol13(9): e1005732. https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=f6ec20af85&e=55e25a0e3e

Source: journals.plos.org (https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=a972424583&e=55e25a0e3e)

Resilience management during large-scale epidemic outbreaks

    Assessing and managing the impact of large-scale epidemics considering only the individual risk and severity of the disease is exceedingly difficult and could be extremely expensive. Economic consequences, infrastructure and service disruption, as well as the recovery speed, are just a few of the many dimensions along which to quantify the effect of an epidemic on society's fabric. Here, we extend the concept of resilience to characterize epidemics in structured populations, by defining the system-wide critical functionality that combines an individual's risk of getting the disease (disease attack rate) and the disruption to the system's functionality (human mobility deterioration). By studying both conceptual and data-driven models, we show that the integrated consideration of individual risks and societal disruptions under resilience assessment framework provides an insightful picture of how an epidemic might impact society. In particular, containment interventions intended
for a straightforward reduction of the risk may have net negative impact on the system by slowing down the recovery of basic societal functions. The presented study operationalizes the resilience framework, providing a more nuanced and comprehensive approach for optimizing containment schemes and mitigation policies in the case of epidemic outbreaks.

Resilience management during large-scale epidemic outbreaks
Emanuele Massaro, Alexander Ganin, Nicola Perra, Igor Linkov, Alessandro Vespignani

Source: arxiv.org (https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=152c8d1dcb&e=55e25a0e3e)

The Strength of Absent Ties: Social Integration via Online Dating

    We used to marry people to which we were somehow connected to: friends of friends, schoolmates, neighbours. Since we were more connected to people similar to us, we were likely to marry someone from our own race.
However, online dating has changed this pattern: people who meet online tend to be complete strangers. Given that one-third of modern marriages start online, we investigate theoretically, using random graphs and matching theory, the effects of those previously absent ties in the diversity of modern societies.
We find that when a society benefits from previously absent ties, social integration occurs rapidly, even if the number of partners met online is small. Our findings are consistent with the sharp increase in interracial marriages in the U.S. in the last two decades.

The Strength of Absent Ties: Social Integration via Online Dating
Josue Ortega, Philipp Hergovich

Source: arxiv.org (https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=fdbb839493&e=55e25a0e3e)

Temporal Network Epidemiology

    This book covers recent developments in epidemic process models and related data on temporally varying networks. It is widely recognized that contact networks are indispensable for describing, understanding, and intervening to stop the spread of infectious diseases in human and animal populations; ˙˙network epidemiology˙˙ is an umbrella term to describe this research field.

More recently, contact networks have been recognized as being highly dynamic. This observation, also supported by an increasing amount of new data, has led to research on temporal networks, a rapidly growing area. Changes in network structure are often informed by epidemic (or other) dynamics, in which case they are referred to as adaptive networks.

This volume gathers contributions by prominent authors working in temporal and adaptive network epidemiology, a field essential to understanding infectious diseases in real society.

Temporal Network Epidemiology
Naoki Masuda, Petter Holme (Eds.)

Source: link.springer.com (https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=e71e6a7ea1&e=55e25a0e3e)

Founding Editor: Gottfried Mayer.
Editor-in-Chief: Carlos Gershenson.

You can contribute to Complexity Digest selecting one of our topics (https://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=543d181be6&e=55e25a0e3e ) and using the "Suggest" button.