I do think info can be transferred from professional to professional for relevant reasons, but when tutors get into the mix that gets touchy.

I think you should consult with the proper folks at your institution. For us at Fresno State the registrar's office is the lead on FERPA and they are the folks who hold the waivers. See what guidance they give and maybe the student would need to sign a release for the professor if it is within FERPA guidelines. However, the provision about release via permission is stated as the following:

Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record. However, FERPA allows schools to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR § 99.31):

-Don't forget to learn.
William G. Hardaway
Academic Support Coordinator
PH: 559.278.3052
SM: @whardaway
Tutoring Schedule: http://bit.ly/tutsched

Ideation || Restorative || Relator || Learner || Belief