Like many people in academia, you seem to be (in my opinion) over-reacting to FERPA restrictions.

Straight from the FERPA website (https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html):

Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record. However, FERPA allows schools to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR 99.31):

         School officials with legitimate educational interest;

You are a school official with legitimate educational interest. End of issue.

That said, among the many people mentioned above who take an overly-strict reading of FERPA are some university attorneys and administrators. Thus, if you already have policy directives from them, obviously you should follow them.

Jered Wasburn-Moses

Associate Director for Tutoring Programs

Learning PLUS

Northern Kentucky University

University Center 170F

(859) 572-5779