Hi Ira,

I have talked to people about this situation before. I always get concerned when someone says they do not pay their tutors to attend training. I am going to refer you to the Code of Federal Regulations, specifically 785. 27 – 29 and 785.32. https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=e9d592f7f7d89666d0c135684d62892e&mc=true&r=PART&n=pt29.3.785#se29.3.785_129

These sections deal with the requirement to pay employees to attend training. To sum up what they say, employees must be paid to attend training unless all four of the following conditions are met:

·         Attendance is outside normal working hours

·         Attendance is voluntary

·         The training is not directly related to the employee’s job

·         The employee does not perform any productive work during the training

785.32 provides an exception for bona fide apprenticeship programs which meet the standards of the Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training of the U.S. Department of Labor.

I think 785.29 really encapsulates my concerns. It specifies that “The training is directly related to the employee's job if it is designed to make the employee handle his job more effectively as distinguished from training him for another job, or to a new or additional skill.” I think this very accurately describes most tutor training programs.

I hope this helps.

Martin Golson

Director, Academic Support

Certified Learning Center Professional – Level 4

Austin Peay State University

(931) 221-6553