Hello Carole,

 Rhode Island College is just finishing level 1 tutor training, and we didn't incorporate the subject of coaching for hard conversations, but it seems like a very important topic to consider. In reality it's something that we have been discussing as it relates to academic advising for those times students need to brainstorm other majors because the current one just isn't a good fit.

 Opening up a discussion that is a difficult one can be challenging for the seasoned professional, but support language for random moments would be very helpful to our tutors.

 If others are currently using coaching, I would love to know how you are doing it, and thank you, Carole, for bringing up this concern.

-Jayne

Jayne Nightingale, M.A., M.ED.

Assistant Director / OASIS / Tutorial Services

Adams Library Level 1

Rhode Island College

600 Mt. Pleasant Avenue

Providence, RI 02908