***We apologise for any cross-posting****

UCL Press is delighted to announce a brand new open access book that may be of interest
to list subscribers: Social Media in Trinidad. This book is the final book in the influential
open access Why We Post series, and can be downloaded free from https://goo.gl/fM6UvA.

*********************************
Social Media in Trinidad
Jolynna Sinanan
Free download available from https://goo.gl/fM6UvA

*********************************

Drawing on 15 months of ethnographic research in one of the most under-developed
regions in the Caribbean island of Trinidad, this book describes the uses and consequences
of social media for its residents. Jolynna Sinanan argues that this semi-urban town is a
place in-between: somewhere city dwellers look down on and villagers look up to. The
complex identity of the town is expressed through uses of social media, with significant
results for understanding social media more generally.

Not elevating oneself above others is one of the core values of the town, and social media
becomes a tool for social visibility; that is, the process of how social norms come to be and
how they are negotiated. Carnival logic and high-impact visuality is pervasive in uses of
social media, even if Carnival is not embraced by all Trinidadians in the town and results in
presenting oneself and association with different groups in varying ways. The study also has
surprising results in how residents are explicitly non-activist and align themselves with
everyday values of maintaining good relationships in a small town, rather than espousing
more worldly or cosmopolitan values.

Free download https://goo.gl/fM6UvA

*********************************
The Why We Post series

With 320,000 downloads to date, the Why We Post series discovers the findings of  nine
anthropologists who each spent 15 months living in a diverse range of communities to try to
understand both why we post and the consequences of social media on our lives. For more
details, visit ucl.ac.uk/ucl-press/why-we-post

Download the series free:

•	How the World Changed Social Media: https://goo.gl/FR59RG
•	Social Media in an English Village: https://goo.gl/CfnW3X
•	Social Media in Southeast Turkey: https://goo.gl/WZT2to