Session title: Issue Emergence in Environmental Politics

XXVIII Sunbelt Conference, June 26-July 1, 2018 at Utrecht University (the Netherlands)

Deadline for submission: February 1, 2018

Organizers: Ina Möller (Lund University) & Jennifer Bansard (University of Potsdam)

Session abstract: The environment is one of the most complex areas of contemporary politics. It is fueled by the constant identification of new problem areas and is driven by considerable knowledge production streams. In this context, some issues remain under the radar while others permeate multiple policy fields. One example is the concept of ecosystem-based management, which is now being applied in the fields of climate change mitigation, adaptation and disaster risk reduction. We argue, that rather than the issues' intrinsic properties, it is the actors and the networks in which they operate that drive issue institutionalization – inter alia through processes of framing and reframing. Building on this consideration, this panel welcomes papers that address questions around the constituents, processes and effects involved in moving an issue or concept up the political agenda.

We welcome abstracts of no more than 500 words submitted through the conference website: https://sunbelt.sites.uu.nl/abstract-submission/. Authors of accepted papers will be notified by March 2018. If you have any questions please contact us at [log in to unmask]e.

We look forward to your submissions and to discussing your work at the conference.

Best wishes,

Ina & Jennifer

-----

Jennifer Bansard