Call for Submissions – Deadline: 5 February 2018 (extended)

1st Workshop on Computational Impact Detection from Text Data

May 8th 2018 – Miyazaki, Japan

This workshop is associated with LREC 2018

How can we measure the impact – such as awareness for economic, ecological and political matters – of information, such as scientific publications, user-generated content, and reports from the public administration, based on text data? The proposed workshop intends to bring together research from different theoretical paradigms and methodologies for the extraction of impact-relevant indicators from natural language text data and related meta-data. We will welcome papers of expertise in different methods for analyzing text data; spanning the whole spectrum of qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods techniques, and domain expertise in the field of impact measurement. Findings from previous projects might be presented. We aim for an interdisciplinary workshop where we discuss possibilities, limitations and synergistic effects of different approaches.

We invite papers on a wide range of topics, including, but not limited to:

- Methods of Impact Research:

•    Automatic detection of linguistic patterns indicating impact
•    Analyzing and extracting impact terminology
•    Knowledge bases
•    Semantic corpus-analysis
•    Resources for Impact Resources, e.g., for training and evaluation
•    Development and building special purpose text corpora
•    Classification schemes for impact categories, impact indicators

- Interdisciplinary research issues

•    Accessing novelties and trends from scientific research publications
•    Anticipating, modeling, estimating, measuring and predicting the potential or actual impact of findings
•    Information indexing and retrieval standards in text data enabling retrospective usage
•    Obstacles in replication, reusability, adoption and advancement of prior work outside scientific peer-groups

SUBMISSIONS and PROCEEDINGS

Papers should be between 4 and 8 pages excluding references complying the LREC stylesheet (http://lrec2018.lrec-conf.org/en/submission/authors-kit/) and the LREC 2018 author's kit templates. Papers must be submitted to the START system no later than February 5th, 2018.

START Submission Page: https://www.softconf.com/lrec2018/CIDTD2018/

The full papers will be published as workshop proceedings along with the LREC main conference by ELRA. The workshop proceedings will be attributed ISBN and ISSN numbers. For the extended abstracts, the LREC instructions need to be followed.

LREC workshops: http://lrec2018.lrec-conf.org/en/workshops-and-tutorials/

CFP: http://lrec2018.lrec-conf.org/media/filer_public/2018/01/25/impact_text_data-ws_lrec_cfp-first-call.pdf

IDENTIFY, DESCRIBE AND SHARE YOUR LRs!

Describing your LRs in the LRE Map is now a normal practice in the submission procedure of LREC (introduced in 2010 and adopted by other conferences). To continue the efforts initiated at LREC 2014 about "Sharing LRs" (data, tools, web-services, etc.), authors will have the possibility, when submitting a paper, to upload LRs in a special LREC repository. This effort of sharing LRs, linked to the LRE Map for their description, may become a new "regular" feature for conferences in our field, thus contributing to creating a common repository where everyone can deposit and share data. As scientific work requires accurate citations of referenced work so as to allow the community to understand the whole context and also replicate the experiments conducted by other researchers, LREC 2018 endorses the need to uniquely Identify LRs through the use of the International Standard Language Resource Number (ISLRN, www.islrn.org), a Persistent Unique Identifier to be assigned to each Language Resource. The assignment of ISLRNs to LRs cited in LREC papers will be offered at submission time.

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

Jana Diesner, The iSchool at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, USA
Georg Rehm, DFKI - German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence, Berlin, Germany
Andreas Witt, University of Cologne / IDS Mannheim / Heidelberg University, Germany

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Jana Diesner, UIUC, Illinois, USA
Lindsay Green-Barber, The Impact Architects, San Francisco, USA
Franciska de Jong, executive director CLARIN ERIC, Europe
Sandra Kόbler, University of Indiana Bloomington, USA
Georg Rehm, DFKI Berlin, Germany
Andreas Witt, University of Cologne / IDS Mannheim / Heidelberg University, Germany
Feiyu Xu, vice president of Lenovo Institute of Artificial Intelligence Laboratory Research

IMPORTANT DATES:

Submission deadline: February 5th, 2018 (23:59 GMT) (deadline extended)
Notification of Acceptance: February 15th, 2018
Final versions of accepted papers: March 5th, 2018
Workshop: May 8th, 2018 (morning)

For any questions please feel free to contact me.

Jana Diesner, PhD
Assistant Professor
PhD Program Director
School of Information Sciences/ The iSchool at Illinois
501 E. Daniel St., Champaign, IL 61820
Web: https://cpanel.ischool.illinois.edu/~jdiesner/lab/