Attached is the save the date card for the upcoming 24th Annual Public Interest Environmental Conference that will be held here at UF Law February 8-10, 2018.  The theme of the conference is Our Climate: the Only Constant is Change.  The website with a complete agenda and registration is available at http://ufpiec.org. Registration is free to UF faculty, staff and students for all of the conference except the Friday evening banquet for which the cost is $50 per person.  Seats for the Friday evening banquet tend to sell out, so we encourage you to register for this soon if you are interested.  Cynthia Barnett, noted author and journalist, will be the keynote banquet speaker on Friday evening and the title of her talk is “Nature as Truth in a Post-Truth World”.

We are very excited to have some real luminaries in the field for our keynote and plenary speakers and on a number of our panels.  Professor Maxine Burkett, an expert on climate migration and relocation from the University of Hawaii opens the conference on Thursday evening, following our opening reception.  Her visit is co-sponsored by the Florida Climate Institute which is organizing another campus-wide talk with her for Thursday at 2 pm;  Professor Michael Gerrard, noted expert on climate change law from Columbia University, Dr. Glenn Morris, Director of the UF Emerging Pathogens Institute, and David Zierden, Florida State Climatologist will speak at our opening plenary.

In addition, for a special Friday lunchtime event, Professor Mary Christina Wood, will join us via video conference from the University of Oregon to provide an overview and update on the pathbreaking climate litigation brought by Our Children’s Trust, which was Professor Wood’s brainchild and for which she continues to provide key intellectual and legal support. A Saturday morning workshop focuses on climate advocacy.  And on Saturday features an inspiring group of Millennials Making their Mark who will talk about their career paths, which may be of particular interest to students wondering how they can “do well while doing good”.

We hope you will spread the word about this event to others including UF faculty and students and that you will join us for any and all of the programs of interest.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Alyson

Alyson C. Flournoy

Professor of Law & Alumni Research Scholar

University of Florida Levin College of Law

309 Village Drive

P.O. Box 117625

Gainesville FL 32611

352-273-0945