Dear colleagues,

it is our pleasure to invite you to submit contributions to the NETSCI2018 Satellite: "MORE THAN COMPLEX: LARGE AND RICH NETWORK STRUCTURES"  that will be held on the 12th of June in Paris.

We kindly ask you to circulate this call among your peers.

Wishing to meet you for the workshop,

Best regards

Floriana Gargiulo, Sylvie Huet, Emmanuel Lazega, Paola Tubaro

Information on the Satellite
In traditional research paradigms, sociology handles small but rich networks where the richness of network attributes is derived from the specific build-up of the data collection process. In the sociological approach, differences among nodes and edges are key to describe network properties and the ensuing dynamical social processes. Instead, the complex systems tradition deals with large but poor networks. Assuming statistical equivalence of graph entities, a mean field treatment serves to describe the aggregate properties of the network. Today's network datasets contain an unprecedented quantity of relational information at all, and between all, the possible levels: individuals, social groups, political structures, economical actors, etc. We finally deal with large and rich network structures that expose the implicit limitations of the two above-mentioned approaches: the traditional methods from social science cannot be up-scaled because of their algorithmic complexity and those from complex systems lose track of the complex nature of the actors, their relationships and their processes. This workshop has the aim of developing an interdisciplinary reflection on how methods from social science could be up-scaled to large network structures and on how methods from complex systems could be down-scaled to deal with small heterogeneous structures.
We are proud that five prominent international scholars are our invited speakers: Camille Roth, Sciences-Po Paris; Matthieu Latapy, LIP6-UPMC Paris; Alessandro Lomi, ETH Zurich; Fariba Karimi, GESIS Cologne; Noshir Contractor, Northwestern University.

Contributions
-------------------
We invite abstracts of published or unpublished work for contributed talks to take place at the satellite symposium. We expect a broad range of topics to be covered, across theory, methodology, and application to empirical data, relating to an interdisciplinary reflection on how methods from social science could be up-scaled to large network structures and on how methods from complex systems could be down-scaled to deal with small heterogeneous structures.

Submission can be made through our website: https://larichnet.sciencesconf.org/

Submissions are required to be at most 650 words long and should include the following information: title of the talk, author(s), affiliation(s), e-mail address(es), name of the presenter, abstract. Papers or submissions longer than 1 page will not be accepted.

Important dates
Abstract submission deadline is March 25, 2018.
Notification of acceptance will be no later than April 23, 2018

All participants and accepted speakers will have to register through the NETSCI2018 website: https://www.netsci2018.com/

--
-
Paola Tubaro