From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Keánu Wall
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Workshop Attendance

Hi everyone,

I saw a great post about hosting workshops based on motivation/goal setting, and it reminded me of a question that we've been trying to solve forever now: how do we get students to attend workshops?

We know that most students are often trying to juggle not just their classes, but also their jobs, family, social life, etc. We find this particularly acute in the community college or commuter college setting where students only come to campus for their classes and leave directly after.

We reach out to students through mail merges, faculty support, and posters around campus.
We see that extra credit tends to bring out more students (marginally), although this is granted through faculty's good graces and never requested by the tutoring center.

To be sure, there are many contributing factors, but I'm curious to see what other strategies are out there?

Thank you for your time!

Emily Janssen
Academic Coach
Mid-State Technical College / Wisconsin Rapids Campus
500 32nd Street North
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494
715/422-5647

mstc.edu<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mstc.edu&d=DwIGaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=dAjLy8o4S9dNvqVytam675MucKU7Aimy5FBVWJ3on54&s=ZRIw-1olJ3Qa7Lm_wpmKA4KjgvZAiQqqOlfOr4pc-pw&e=>
LIKE us at facebook.com/MidStateTech<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.facebook.com_MidStateTech&d=DwIGaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=dAjLy8o4S9dNvqVytam675MucKU7Aimy5FBVWJ3on54&s=FMVX9e79LvXzSPRqy7RiM6zK4RwKtmp51gIZg8RcdVk&e=>
FOLLOW us at twitter.com/FollowMSTC <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.twitter.com_FollowMSTC&d=DwIGaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=dAjLy8o4S9dNvqVytam675MucKU7Aimy5FBVWJ3on54&s=lOdJUfqp4jMffqcVpOwCsTmItmQGM6OPHJXh3cGG3wM&e=>

[MSTC]

This email transmission is intended only for the use of the individual to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the recipient of this email is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please return it to the sender immediately and then delete the email destroying all copies.