Hi Julie,

At UNCG, tutoring is a weekly commitment. Our tutors mostly meet with their
students throughout the library. They're also allowed to meet with them in
a classroom building lounge or unused classroom. We used to have a tutoring
lab in our center but recently had to move buildings (they're tearing our
old building down!). Tutors are assigned to students and then the tutors
communicate with their students via university email to select a time. In
that exchange, they discuss also where they'll be meeting.

Our tutors are allowed to work Monday-Thursday 8:00 AM-9:00 PM and Friday,
Saturday and Sunday while the library is open (as long as it is never past
9:00 PM). Our office is only open 8:00 AM-5:00 PM Monday-Friday. The tutors
submit session records where the students sign in so that we track all of
our sessions.

We just stress to our tutors that tutoring must occur in an academically
related building to remain professional and as a safety precaution for our
tutors. Since the library is open with many people in it during those hours
and classes happen in the buildings in the evening hours (and campus police
is always on campus) we feel safe letting them tutor while our center is
closed.

Our tutors select where they want to tutor but the students are allowed to
give input (so if it's too distracting being in the open table space in the
library the students just have to request that they go to a quieter place).
Our tutors do a really good job of talking with our students in their first
sessions about this!

Let me know if you  have any other questions!

Emily

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 1:58 PM, Julie A. Hall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> Historically, in our center, which is located in our university library,
> we have assigned student peer tutors a specific room to hold their
> appointment. Every room has a white board, access to a computer and a
> minimum of 4 chairs, which allows for small group appointments in a private
> atmosphere.  Now 3 years into my tenure, our peer tutoring program is
> growing fast and we're increasingly running out of space.  In addition, our
> center also closes at 8:00pm and I'm contemplating changes for fall with
> the policy around peer tutoring and when appointments can be made as we're
> planning on transitioning to the WC Online platform.
>
> Here's my questions:
> 1. Where do your tutors host their sessions?   How are they arranged?
> 2. Do your tutors work beyond the hours of your main office?   If yes, how
> do you manage it?,
> 4. Do your peer tutors work in multiple buildings? (we are a small school
> with no satellite offices)
>
> I appreciate your help as I want to think outside of our norm and
> sometimes the easiest solutions escape me.
>
> Have a great day and thank you in advance for your responses.
>

> *Julie A. Hall*
> Director, Academic Support Center
> *Aurora University  *
> 347 S. Gladstone Avenue, Aurora, Illinois 60506
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__maps.google.com_-3Fq-3D347-2BS.-2BGladstone-2BAvenue-2C-2BAurora-2C-2BIllinois-2B60506-26entry-3Dgmail-26source-3Dg&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=Ww6nXhZonPowKjJf32Q8RjJD0K61LEGzoOlcHasyEGQ&s=Od2CdGa_ZgtfznOIN2KGrPnZFFeKmyFBMTucH_l5kg8&e=>
> Academic Support Center (630) 844-5520
> Testing Services (630) 844-6871
> Disability Resources (630) 844-4225
>
> *Discover What Matters. And Build Your Life Around It.*

Emily Polk
Senior Assistant Director
Tutoring and Academic Skills Programs
University of North Carolina-Greensboro