Hi Julie,

At UNCG, tutoring is a weekly commitment. Our tutors mostly meet with their students throughout the library. They're also allowed to meet with them in a classroom building lounge or unused classroom. We used to have a tutoring lab in our center but recently had to move buildings (they're tearing our old building down!). Tutors are assigned to students and then the tutors communicate with their students via university email to select a time. In that exchange, they discuss also where they'll be meeting.

Our tutors are allowed to work Monday-Thursday 8:00 AM-9:00 PM and Friday, Saturday and Sunday while the library is open (as long as it is never past 9:00 PM). Our office is only open 8:00 AM-5:00 PM Monday-Friday. The tutors submit session records where the students sign in so that we track all of our sessions.

We just stress to our tutors that tutoring must occur in an academically related building to remain professional and as a safety precaution for our tutors. Since the library is open with many people in it during those hours and classes happen in the buildings in the evening hours (and campus police is always on campus) we feel safe letting them tutor while our center is closed.

Our tutors select where they want to tutor but the students are allowed to give input (so if it's too distracting being in the open table space in the library the students just have to request that they go to a quieter place). Our tutors do a really good job of talking with our students in their first sessions about this!

Let me know if you  have any other questions!

Emily