Julie,
St Norbert is a small college with an appointment based tutoring program.. We have never had a dedicated tutoring space. Tutors must tutor on campus but they arrange the location .  We ask that they make sure it is destraction free. We tried reserving  a couple of rooms in the library but tutors didn't like to share space and were shy about asking interlopers to leave.   Last year as our program grew, we looked at our data to determine heaviest tutor times. We then reserved a couple of rooms in our building for those times. Tutors can sign up via an on-line calendar dedicated to each room. These spaces have been well used and the tutors find the process easy. Many of our tutors use the library (conference rooms when they can get them). Science tutors like to tutor in the science building. Also, classrooms are open at night and offer good space.
Not having a center has some down sides but it also allows tutors more flexibility with time and ability to locate near resources.
I think tutors like this autonomy.

Carole Basak
Associate Director
Academic Support Services