Good morning!

My tutors have expressed their interest in learning more about tutoring ESL students.  We have seen an influx of second language learners, especially in our reading center.  The tutors have reported that some are being rude to them and asking them to just do it for them.  I don't know what to do other than what they would do when a native English speaking student acts that way, but they want to know if there is anything else they can do to handle the situation.

Also, is there a training activity you have that helps tutors understand the differences in languages?  For example, one of my reading tutors said that she has been helping a student from Japan and has been able to finally help him/her now that she understands how their language works.  Any suggestions or training activities you have that can help are much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Danna Baggett
Director
Tutoring Services/Apache Tutoring
903-510-3114
[TJC Logo]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.tjc.edu_&d=DwIFAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=NMm4pV02lVdknmf58Epr13n5IiGflBtUOayH7ypc9TI&s=-KpmdSZ16mXUBLG6Oj2gN_8DW1p1BaXfuFVB4kAGrd4&e=>
PO Box 9020, Tyler, TX 75711
1400 East Fifth St., Tyler, TX 75798