From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Danna Baggett
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2018 10:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: tutoring ESL students

Good morning!

My tutors have expressed their interest in learning more about tutoring ESL students.  We have seen an influx of second language learners, especially in our reading center.  The tutors have reported that some are being rude to them and asking them to just do it for them.  I don't know what to do other than what they would do when a native English speaking student acts that way, but they want to know if there is anything else they can do to handle the situation.

Also, is there a training activity you have that helps tutors understand the differences in languages?  For example, one of my reading tutors said that she has been helping a student from Japan and has been able to finally help him/her now that she understands how their language works.  Any suggestions or training activities you have that can help are much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Danna Baggett
Director
Tutoring Services/Apache Tutoring
903-510-3114
[TJC Logo]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.tjc.edu_&d=DwMFAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=NMm4pV02lVdknmf58Epr13n5IiGflBtUOayH7ypc9TI&s=-KpmdSZ16mXUBLG6Oj2gN_8DW1p1BaXfuFVB4kAGrd4&e=>
PO Box 9020, Tyler, TX 75711
1400 East Fifth St., Tyler, TX 75798

Emily Janssen
Academic Coach
Mid-State Technical College / Wisconsin Rapids Campus
500 32nd Street North
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494
715/422-5647

mstc.edu<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mstc.edu&d=DwIFAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=xsCptrmngHTn_qogtL8z4MJcohePvGGNf65Nt2mQtNU&s=Mi3oUspJ_dCBzpfDCSZXAJGpccaSuM0USLJK9RlBZN4&e=>
LIKE us at facebook.com/MidStateTech<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.facebook.com_MidStateTech&d=DwIFAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=xsCptrmngHTn_qogtL8z4MJcohePvGGNf65Nt2mQtNU&s=UtkpZvsjGsYzwPf4uq8Wp9diITMM99UrqiDOrhV2Y4E&e=>
FOLLOW us at twitter.com/FollowMSTC <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.twitter.com_FollowMSTC&d=DwIFAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=xsCptrmngHTn_qogtL8z4MJcohePvGGNf65Nt2mQtNU&s=UVPMhjo_2heZ9mbju6FLrewrJkoQ-YWI8f36tOP6-JU&e=>

[MSTC]

This email transmission is intended only for the use of the individual to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the recipient of this email is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please return it to the sender immediately and then delete the email destroying all copies.