Hi, Abe.

When I was the Writing Lab Coordinator at American University, we offered
synchronous writing support. We used WConline as the main platform. It
allows students to upload their paper or paste them into the whiteboard. It
has video and audio capabilities, as well as chat.

It generally worked well. Tutors were able to discuss the papers and engage
the students pretty much the same way they did during face-to-face
sessions. The main issues were always related to connectivity. Our tutors
were always ready to switch to other platforms (like Hangouts or Skype),
ask the student to email the paper, use their phones to be able to speak
with the student. Did these issue occur frequently? Yes. My recommendation
(besides robust training on the pedagogy, for your tutor)  is you choose
your online platform and tools very carefully. When technology doesn't
work, the session can be very frustrating for student and tutor and really
get in the way of effective support.

I hope this helps.

Ira

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 10:15 AM, Saunders, Abrahm John <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>

> Does anyone have experience with delivering online peer tutoring
> specifically for writing? If so, what has worked well? What challenges with
> the actual delivery of tutoring in a distance education format have you
> experienced, if any?
>

> Thank you!
>

> Abe
>

> *____________________________*
>
> [image: cid:[log in to unmask]]
>

> Abe Saunders
>
> Associate Director
>
> Center for Student Learning
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__csl.cofc.edu_&d=DwMFAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=OLvE-tD3b3fT6gXPPHhsefdh-dtW4WPrX_DQ7ZcNbzk&s=1T9YbTEsXktRYvDY9F45nycqLrDzARES0oqnrTKJSZo&e=> |
> Office for the Academic Experience
>
> Addlestone Library, 205 Calhoun Street, Room 116
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__maps.google.com_-3Fq-3D205-2BCalhoun-2BStreet-2C-2BRoom-2B116-26entry-3Dgmail-26source-3Dg&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=jiKpnZkaIzfG1QOG3bFAWblMa9lcusISW4tRFCw2dvs&s=RnccWTTER-pERscKUoLPfwB0yEPySEPIPwYuT-Y50CU&e=>
>
> 843-953-5635 <(843)%20953-5635>
>

> *This email and any accompanying attachments are confidential. The
> information is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is
> addressed and may be legally protected from disclosure. Any review,
> release, copying, distribution, or use of this email communication by
> others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
> please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete all copies.*

Ira Fabri
*Pronouns: She, Her, Hers*
Assistant Director of Tutoring
Learning Resources Center (LRC)