Dear Michelle,

Your PLTL model sounds a lot like the widely adopted/adapted UMBC "accelerated learning program" that mainstreams developmental writing students by supporting students in a small 8-person extra meeting with the instructor. I have a few specific citations that might be helpful, but including ALP or accelerated learning program in your searches, you may find more.

I'm not sure any of this will answer your administrations' questions at the level of specificity they seem to require. Is there any research suggesting that the 25 student recitation model is just as effective?

http://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/media/k2/attachments/ccbc-alp-student-outcomes-follow-up.pdf

http://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/media/k2/attachments/remedial-english-alp-effective-affordable.pdf

Eric Drown, Ph. D.
Developmental Writing Supervisor