I agree with Lynn and Jeffrey.  I have found that peer tutors, in additional to being cost effective, have several other advantages.

1.       Students are typically more amenable to tutor training than faculty or professional tutors

2.       Trained student peer tutors are more likely to be in “tutor so that students can become independent, self-directed learners” mode than in “teach and explain” mode

3.       Peer tutors are less likely to intimidate students or make them feel stupid if they are unprepared or don’t have the skills that instructors would expect them to have

As stated by others, the CRLA training (or something comparable) is essential.  Even peer tutors who are housed in departments (and not trained by the learning center) are not the most effective.  One father told me that he suggested that his daughter see a tutor, and she reported that the tutoring was not helpful at all.  He was surprised because he knew this institution had an excellent learning center.  It turned out his daughter had used the student tutors in the math department.  When he directed her to the learning center she said the tutors were great.

#LearningCentersRock!

Saundra

Saundra McGuire, Ph.D.

Author of New Release, Teach Yourself How to Learn (Info at http://tinyurl.com/y9aqwhhx)

Author of Teach Students How to Learn (Info at http://tinyurl.com/ogfktwp)

(Ret) Assistant Vice Chancellor  & Professor of Chemistry

Director Emerita, Center for Academic Success

Louisiana State University