We do something similar to what Theresa’s center does: we call it Study Jam, which is a block of drop-in tutoring from 4-8 pm the Sunday leading in to finals week covering a breadth of STEM and humanities courses. It’s cohosted by and held at our science library and is always a huge hit with students (and most of the tutors enjoy it as well). This is preceded by a four-hour block of SI sessions for a subset of their supported courses.

Additionally, this quarter, we added “Breakfast After DARC” (we are the ARC—the Academic Resource Center), from 7-10 pm last night, which provided drop-in tutoring in math and chemistry, open SI sessions, peer mentoring support, and open study space—as well as breakfast foods, as the name suggests. That was quite successful as well: we show about 250 attendees. And, finally, we’ll make our center available Monday-Friday of finals week as an open study space, with the intent of getting students to come in, use our facilities, and hopefully become regular users in the upcoming term.

-Susana

Susana Brower, M.A.

Assistant Coordinator, Tutorial Assistance Program

Academic Resource Center

UC Riverside

Riverside, CA 92521

Voice (951) 827-5345   Fax (951) 827-4543