Greetings Listers,

As our work in learning assistance evolves, I am curious about the many variations of approaches to supporting students that have developed over time.  While most of us are familiar with tutoring and SI, many learning centers have adapted these models to suit their student needs and institutional resources.  For example, when USF decided to develop the flipped classroom/lab model for introductory math courses, we looked at several models and then constructed the approach that we felt best fit our students' needs.  And of course we adapted it over the first few years as we assessed the results.  And we called it the SMART Lab.

I am interested in collecting the many varied models that we have around the country. I have a few quick questions about what you do:

  1. What do you call it? And if it is an acronym what does the acronym stand for?
  2. Briefly describe how it operates.   (ie: peer support, embedded, individual, group, scheduled, drop-in)
You are welcome to email me off list (email is below) and I will be happy to post the results to the list.

Thanks!

Pat

Patricia A. Maher, Ph.D.
Immediate Past President
National College Learning Center Association
Former Director, USF Academic Success Center
813-541-8821