Thank you for this valuable information. Our peer tutors are by appointment only, with appointments made by end of business the day before.  Monday - Thursday 8am-8pm, Fri & Saturday 9am-2pm.  The only peer staff with set hours are the ones who our drop-in math lab and those who host peer led study sessions.

From: "Jeffrey White" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 3:36:37 PM
Subject: Re: Location for Peer Tutors

Hello Julie,

We’re open M-Th 9am-9pm, M-F 9am-5pm,  and Sundays from 5pm-9pm and have student employee reception staff during this time. Our Learning Commons is attached to a suite of offices that house our Accessible Education Services and our Learning Assistance Counseling. Tutors can take appointments outside of our open times. We used to have them use the Learning Commons during closed hours (they could unlock it via card swipe) but stopped this due to risk management concerns. They now meet studetns in our library or (for computer science tutoring) in the School of Engineering computer lab. Tracking the appointments is an issue: appointments outside of open hours are tracked by the tutor using an Excel sheet that is shared with me. The data is then entered into our tracking application at a later date. We are in the process of formalizing this policy. Currently, it’s rare that students meet with tutors during closed hours.

Do your tutors have set appointment times, or do they flex when they are willing to meet with students?

All the best,

Jeffrey

Jeffrey White, M.A., M.S.

Learning Commons Administrator, Shepard Academic Resource Center

Instructor of German, International Languages and Cultures

Buckley Center 163, MSC 184

University of Portland

5000 N. Willamette Blvd.

Portland, Oregon 97203