Hi Danna,

I have definitely been in your shoes!  We have an entire center for the students enrolled in pre-college classes, ESL, ENL, and CAP classes.  Hiring and training for this position is very complicated but very rewarding.  We also have a great deal of non-native speakers in our college level centers as well and trying to equip my tutors to assist them is/was always a challenge.  I have found since taking over the pre-college center my ability to understand the student needs and find information for my tutors greatly enhanced.  I will tell you that the best support was reaching out to the instructors of those students to find websites, trainings and materials that would help me in my trainings.  We have also conducted tutor trainings with these faculty members as guests providing information and insight to the tutors.

Looks like some good information has already been sent your way but my top suggestion would be talking to the faculty of the classes you support to find out what their expectations are and to look for some information directly from them.

Best,

Janice L. Taylor

Interim Associate Director, Clark College Tutoring Services
Office: FHL 202

Mail Stop: FHL 222
Phone: 360-992-2773
Email:

[log in to unmask]" alt="Image result for secret in education is to respect the learner, emerson">