Dear Colleagues,

The journal Social Sciences (ISSN 2076-0760; index by *Scopus*) is
currently running a Special Issue entitled "Big Data and the Human and
Social Sciences". Dr. Ivo Veiga, Dr. Ana Paula Pires and Dr. Inês
Queiroz from Nova University of Lisbon (Portugal) are serving as Guest
Editors for this issue.

From our perspective, sociologists, historians, political scientists,
economists, philosophers and anthropologists are well placed to deal
with the big data movement. At the present time, social and human
scientists have at their disposal a wide volume and variety of data,
including massively-growing public archival data. This allows to extend
the geographical and longitudinal scope of analyses on a new scale.
However, first and foremost it gives social and human scientists the
opportunity to show their strong competence on contextual knowledge, the
capacity to historically situate objects of analyses and discuss
meanings and vast textual corpora. Still, the strategies for storing and
analyzing such data are complex and not without difficulties.[...]

For further reading, please follow the link to the Special Issue Website
at:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mdpi.com_journal_socsci_special-5Fissues_Big-5FData-5FHuman-5Fand-5FSocial-5FSciences&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=nhgN93j7YHKzMRaDdEa6lZnsZ7VxuBI0B_I2GtX_W-s&s=8QwobjFy9kyubUryAC5rHx9jR61e4AXqc8Xc4Ev1-MY&e=

The submission deadline is *31 October 2018*. You may send your
manuscript now or up until the deadline. Submitted papers should not be
under consideration for publication elsewhere. We also encourage authors
to send a short abstract or tentative title to the Guest Editor, Dr.
Ivo Veiga ([log in to unmask]) or the Editorial Office in the email
([log in to unmask]) in advance.

Social Sciences is fully open access. Open access (unlimited and free
access by readers) increases publicity and promotes more frequent
citations, as indicated by several studies.

*No publication fee is required*

For further details on the submission process, please see the
instructions for authors at the journal website:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mdpi.com_journal_socsci_instructions&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=nhgN93j7YHKzMRaDdEa6lZnsZ7VxuBI0B_I2GtX_W-s&s=Jnc3gkVxz7oif691NM5dYbITM5pHfcl3-Qp752BQu7U&e=.

We look forward to hearing from you.

On behalf of the Guest Editors
Dr. Ivo Veiga
Dr. Ana Paula Pires