"Data and documentation for the first of three waves of the UCNets - UC Berkeley Social Networks Study - are now available for download on NACDA (National Archive of Computerized Data on Aging), part of ICPSR.  The URL is: https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/studies/36975.  These ego-centric data consist of a primary sample of egos (n=1,159) and alters (n~12,000).  UCNets  is a five-year panel study funded by the National Institute on Aging, R01 AG041955-01.  People in two age groups (cohorts) – 21-30 year-olds and 50-70 year-olds — are interviewed three times, beginning  in Winter-Spring 2015, allowing us to test how changes in social connections happen and affect health.  We draw participants from 6 Bay Area counties:  San Francisco, Marin, Alameda, Contra Costa, San Mateo and Santa Clara. During 2015-2016 we interviewed most respondents in person, while the other participants filled out a self-administered web survey.  In the second and third waves, some of the participants who were interviewed in person will do the survey online.  Two waves have been completed: the third wave is currently in the field (as of March 2018).

Please note that the we are constantly cleaning the data, and the cleanest data are not necessarily available through NACDA."

Claude S. Fischer
Professor of the Graduate School, Sociology