Hi Sara,

I have been in a similar situation when I started my PhD on a completely
different topic, but involving networks. I read two books which helped me a
lot in terms of getting ideas and understanding basic theoretical
frameworks.

The two books:
Easley, David, and Jon Kleinberg. Networks, crowds, and markets: Reasoning
about a highly connected world. Cambridge University Press, 2010.
Jackson, Matthew O. *Social and economic networks*. Princeton university
press, 2010.

My thesis:
Thesis chapter 1> (link: arxiv.org/abs/1509.04037)
Thesis chapter 2> (link: arxiv.org/abs/1710.09876)
Thesis chapter 3> (link: arxiv.org/abs/1611.09030)
Thesis chapter 4> (link: arxiv.org/abs/1712.04628)

Kind Regards,
Samin

*Samin Aref*
www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/people/sare618