FOIMan explains why any organisation which blames the destruction of
important records on data protection rules is being either disingenuous or
is ignorant of what the law requires.

In recent weeks *The Guardian* has drawn attention to the plight of those
innocent people who have lived in the UK for many years, only to be told
recently by the Home Office that they could face deportation. This week the
Home Secretary finally apologised, but many people are still in a legal
limbo, unable to prove their status, not realising that they would ever
need to.

Now a former Home Office employee has reported that disembarkation cards
which might have helped establish the status of many of these people were
deliberately destroyed by the Home Office a few years ago. Responding to
the claim, the Home Office has conceded that records were destroyed but
claims that this was necessary to comply with the Data Protection Act
(DPA). The records were, according to them, destroyed:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2HmBp72&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=QBBZYKTmY3-1bipvPyyJaZA6KuoxCAYmI0W_GyF6gwQ&s=fqip402t8zI_THa91Tx58odJILEuThMehAab-ZDRdfA&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2HmBp72-2B&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=QBBZYKTmY3-1bipvPyyJaZA6KuoxCAYmI0W_GyF6gwQ&s=F7HkWvAlcJKTuKJFMFb4ZGPtho1OAZSgTJsrTbr6FGE&e=

--
Peterk
Dallas, Tx