There used to be two distinct kinds of written records: institutional and
personal. The former were newspapers and corporate records and political
documents and so on. These were important, and systems were developed to
archive them. Personal documents — letters, personal mail, diaries and
journals — were mostly lost over time, with the exception of some things
that were passed down in families or, in the case of famous people,
collected by institutions.

The Internet blurred that line. Institutional records were still
institutional records, but now personal records could be published as
broadly as newspaper articles. Often those publishing systems had built-in
archiving systems that ensured that the personal writing wasn’t lost; this
was a feature, given that a blog wouldn’t be of much use if you lost
everything more than a week old.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wapo.st_2r6w3CO&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=A24zBXl14FoNq31nw8JyYZvkl-NoAN0HBvPrc04N1ug&s=SQHCv85Tq9ZfJwh9hEGC6MlplADgudrolGA6yrU7usE&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wapo.st_2r6w3CO-2B&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=A24zBXl14FoNq31nw8JyYZvkl-NoAN0HBvPrc04N1ug&s=h9v9JiNkMkUG2NDf-lgeRFgaNXpeRc7b0bW64JFyXy0&e=

--
Peterk
Dallas, Tx