Dear colleagues

We had a very good holothurian CITES meeting in Kuala Lumpur in 2004, with
results published by NOAA Bruckner et al. with discussions on the pro-and
con CITES arguments.
In nearly 20 years the knowledge has been increasing, but the
overexploitation also.
After a few recent discussions and taking into account that the teatfish is
a group of species sharing the CITES needs: overexploitation, high value of
products, products easy to distinguish (not the case for other species..!),
we have thought that proposing them in Annex II would be a good start for a
better conservation.
At MNHN the french CITES scientists have prepared the project in this
direction, project now circulating inside EU.
I think that if many countries join this idea, it could be much better
accepted and usefull than listing all holothurians.
I also think that Annex II does not slow down research too much; the
example of Isostichopus fuscus on the annex II since long, has not stopped
the research.

Best regards
Chantal Conand

--