From: flmnh-aspidolist [mailto:FLMNH-ASPIDOLIST-L@LISTS.UFL.EDU] On Behalf Of Friedman, Kim (FIAF)
Sent: Friday, May 4, 2018 3:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]EDU
Subject: Sea Cucumbers - Governance - CITES

FYI

Forum Economic Ministers Meeting – 26 April 2018, Palau

Cameron Diver,  Deputy Director-General of the Pacific Community:

“Statistics and data are also fundamental as means to inform sustainable management of economically important resources. An illustration in coastal fisheries is the Sea cucumber/Beche-de-mer fishery in the region which is traded internationally.  Sea cucumber is the second most valued resource in the region after tuna fisheries and helps drive government revenue together with rural and community economic development. But it is one of the most corrupt fisheries in the region as a result of poor governance systems. For example, in MSG countries, we estimate that benefits could be as high as US$30 – 45 million per annum, when countries are only making an average earning of US$14 million”

“The improvement of the both the amount and regularity of the income that communities can derive from the sea cucumber would be a major win. Given the level of corruption and undue interference in the sea cucumber fishery it is unfortunately very likely that all sea cucumber species will be proposed for listing under Appendix II of the CITES

Full speech: http://www.spc.int/blog/forum-economic-ministers-meeting-26-april-2018-koror-palau/

Yours,

Kim

Kim Friedman

Senior Fishery Resources Officer

F602, Fisheries and Aquaculture Department

Marine and Inland Fisheries Branch

Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)

Vialle delle Terme di Caracalla

00153 Rome, Italy

Tel: +39 06 570 56510

Skype: kim.j.friedman