From: flmnh-aspidolist [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chantal Conand
Sent: Saturday, May 5, 2018 11:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Sea Cucumbers - Governance - CITES

Dear colleagues

We had a very good holothurian CITES meeting in Kuala Lumpur in 2004, with results published by NOAA Bruckner et al. with discussions on the pro-and con CITES arguments.

In nearly 20 years the knowledge has been increasing, but the overexploitation also.

After a few recent discussions and taking into account that the teatfish is a group of species sharing the CITES needs: overexploitation, high value of products, products easy to distinguish (not the case for other species..!), we have thought that proposing them in Annex II would be a good start for a better conservation.

At MNHN the french CITES scientists have prepared the project in this direction, project now circulating inside EU.

I think that if many countries join this idea, it could be much better accepted and usefull than listing all holothurians.

I also think that Annex II does not slow down research too much; the example of Isostichopus fuscus on the annex II since long, has not stopped the research.

Best regards

Chantal Conand

Hi All,

This is pretty scary and will lead to a major slowdown in research on sea cucumbers.  This happened with corals when they went on CITES; talk to any coral taxonomists.  I wonder if the listing could be taxonomically targeted so as not to impact everything?  I am quite appreciative of the resource issues here and am very pro-management, but the collateral damage to science with such a CITES listing will be huge.  I used to work on corals…  Maybe my days as a holothuroid taxonomists are numbered…

Cheers - Gustav