Matrix is fine an can be imported in most tools.

However, I prefer edge lists, i.e.:

Group A       Individual 1

Group A       Individual 2

Group B       Individual 1

Advantages:

- This is normally the way we collect data

- A line per edge allows for more edge attributes (additional columns)

- More compact for sparse matrices

- Easier to handle for large networks

In any case, this gives you a 2-mode network. Transform it to a 1-mode (easy in any tool) and you’ll get your Group-Group network. There are different approaches how to “count” co-occurrence of Individuals. You can sum them. Or you can weigh them, e.g. if I1 and I2 are just in G1 this might bring more “points” for G1 than I1 and I2 being everywhere. But this part should be derived from your questions. What do you want to analyze with this co-occurrence?