Hello Everyone,

This may be too simple and I may be overthinking it but I was hoping to get some feedback on the best way to manage some data. I have individual records where everyone is a member of two to three groups. There is a total of about 30 groups people can be a member of, but each is a member of at least two.

Now, we are not necessarily concerned about the individuals, but we need them to show the connection between the groups. We are really interested in the number of connections between the 30 groups and identifying areas of overlap and possible intervention to encourage collaboration among the silos.

Currently, the data looks a little something like this:

(Example 1)

 Group AGroup BGroup CGroup D (…etc)
Individual 10101
Individual 21101
Individual 30010

One idea someone suggested was to alter the data as (example 2)

 Group AGroup BGroup CGroup D (…etc)
Group A1111
Group B1001
Group C 1111

The challenge with this is that Group A could have 100-200 individuals who are a member of group A and group B.

Is the data in example 1 the best way to handle it? Or is there an obvious solution I am blanking on right now?

Thanks for any help-

Aaron Guest, MPH, MSW, CPH

PhD Candidate in Gerontology

Graduate Center for Gerontology | University of Kentucky

Multi-Disciplinary Science Building | 725 Rose Street, Room 448