Hi Ion,

I was thinking about similar questions and would like to know what you find
out!

I was at Steve Borgatti and Martin Everett's Sunbelt presentation,
Unpacking Burt's Constraint Measure, and you might find this abstract
interesting.

> "Ron Burt proposed a number of measures for ego networks in his classic
> book “Structural Holes”. In 1997 Steve Borgatti wrote a short article in
> connections called unpacking Burt’s redundancy measure. The redundancy
> measure is relatively easy to disentangle as it is expressed as a fraction.
> In this talk we attempt to do the same with constraint. Burt’s constraint
> measure is a lot more challenging as it is expressed as a sum and a squared
> term. Burt claims it consists of a number of factors that he deems to be
> important namely size, density and hierarchy. Here I show that if the graph
> is binary then we can re-write the constraint to explicitly see these
> contributions. This allows us to do a number of additional things.* 1
> Calculate max and min for constraint * 2 Re-weight how these terms
> contribute to the measure. 3 Approximate constraint when we know the
> degrees of the alters without knowing the exact structure. In addition it
> provides an opportunity to redefine constraint in a way that more evenly
> balances the three components."

I remember the max is at least contingent on the node's degree value, not a
set number that universally applies to any network.

Good luck!
Ruqin

--
Ruqin Ren