Hi Ion,

I was thinking about similar questions and would like to know what you find out!

I was at Steve Borgatti and Martin Everett's Sunbelt presentation, Unpacking Burt's Constraint Measure, and you might find this abstract interesting.

"Ron Burt proposed a number of measures for ego networks in his classic book “Structural Holes”. In 1997 Steve Borgatti wrote a short article in connections called unpacking Burt’s redundancy measure. The redundancy measure is relatively easy to disentangle as it is expressed as a fraction. In this talk we attempt to do the same with constraint. Burt’s constraint measure is a lot more challenging as it is expressed as a sum and a squared term. Burt claims it consists of a number of factors that he deems to be important namely size, density and hierarchy. Here I show that if the graph is binary then we can re-write the constraint to explicitly see these contributions. This allows us to do a number of additional things. 1 Calculate max and min for constraint 2 Re-weight how these terms contribute to the measure. 3 Approximate constraint when we know the degrees of the alters without knowing the exact structure. In addition it provides an opportunity to redefine constraint in a way that more evenly balances the three components."

I remember the max is at least contingent on the node's degree value, not a set number that universally applies to any network.

Good luck!
Ruqin