From: Muneepeerakul,Rachata
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 8:38 PM
To: Muneepeerakul,Rachata <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Fall course offering: Stochastic Modeling in Ecology and Hydrology

Dear colleagues and friends,

I hope you are having a good summer.  I would like to bring your attention to the course I will be offering this Fall, Stochastic Modeling in Ecology and Hydrology; the syllabus is attached.  I would appreciate it if you would pass the information along to the students who might be interested and benefit from this course.

The brief course description is included below for your convenience.  Other details are provided in the attached syllabus.

This course takes a problem-based approach to introduce stochastic modeling in context of ecology and hydrology.  The students will be asked to study selected papers in detail, through reading and in-class discussion, such that they understand how to set up the problems and derive some results and mathematical expressions reported therein.  Examples of topics include neutral model of biodiversity (in which birth, death, dispersal, and speciation are stochastic), soil moisture dynamics driven by stochastic (Poisson) rainfall, stochastic models of rainfall (pulse model), etc.

Thank you!  Other than that, hope all is well at your ends!

Best wishes,

Rachata Muneepeerakul (Chot)

Associate Professor

Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering

University of Florida

P.O. Box 110570

Gainesville, FL 32611-0570