I wrote this before seeing your contribution, Saundra, and I don’t have time to add to it, so it’s not latching to your post. I hope it is useful nonetheless.

Dear Kelly,
Thanks for raising this important question: As individuals and as a professional community, how can think about and engage in transformational practices in what for many of us feels like an increasingly transactional space? Such efforts are at the heart of the work we do in our Center, so I’ve given some thought to this question.

I’ll share some resources below, but make a couple of comments, as well. One specific point I would make about this issue is that if we want to be transformative (and I think many of us do), we need to establish transformational objectives and try to find ways to measure our results in realizing them. A truism of assessment is that we get what we measure. What, then, is a measure of transformation and how would one administer and analyze the results in the service of transformation? We also need to be aware of the ways our measures are not transformational and thus shape our objectives and work and how others in our institutions frequently define our work in largely transactional terms.

I’ve heard my Center's tutoring program described as “homework help” which to my ear sounds entirely transactional (and gets my hackles up). I push back saying we strive to help students engage in learning in fundamentally new and different ways, re-conceptualize the discipline/sub-discpline which they are studying, transform their sense of what they are capable of learning and doing with their knowledge, enhance their sense of belonging in our Center and on campus, and in so doing enlarge their conception of what is possible for them in the university (e.g. What is a realistic major) and beyond (e.g. Career aspirations).  I believe these are all transformational objectives. If we achieve all of these aims in partnership with a student, such a student’s life, and perhaps their family’s life, may well be transformed. I try to remember that if every time we sit down to work with a student we keep transformational goals in mind, we will achieve them some small percentage of the time. If we do not, we will almost surely never achieve our transformational aims.

There is a small literature<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Learning-2DTransformation-2DCritical-2DPerspectives-2DProgress_dp_0787948454&d=DwIF-g&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=HI_T6sOTRb78QDqiScl2bfWD1J2YPsjaa7ZpbmKtVUs&s=6vQtZ1Cd_wPhwVtTcBsVXwTM0WumGxAnU5osiM1QLUg&e=> on transformative learning starting (I believe) with Jack Mezirow’s book, and a community of practice as well as an annual conference<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cvent.com_events_itlc-2D2018_event-2Dsummary-2D7203571ce8734f22972b7cba980bb676.aspx&d=DwIF-g&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=HI_T6sOTRb78QDqiScl2bfWD1J2YPsjaa7ZpbmKtVUs&s=6aNmZ5TlkMw002sdOTRudbPLUbG0eGzO-PySCkDTTSI&e=> or two<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sites.uco.edu_central_tl_conference_&d=DwIF-g&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=HI_T6sOTRb78QDqiScl2bfWD1J2YPsjaa7ZpbmKtVUs&s=EWIDlM93h-NbZVo-Nk1jut92z8CwZNVBVCZCvDUtHNY&e=> from which we in learning assistance can learn and adapt potentially useful practices.

Best,
Nic

________________________________

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge  || Senior Associate Director
McGraw Center for Teaching & Learning ||  Princeton University
328 Frist Center
(609)258-6921  || https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mcgraw.princeton.edu_undergraduates&d=DwIF-g&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=HI_T6sOTRb78QDqiScl2bfWD1J2YPsjaa7ZpbmKtVUs&s=7Okwqzt6ztiGnToFBBpRjNbqCUBYZ0fJTHz9w0njEM4&e=

[cid:56FD62FF-0CEB-46A7-9060-4DA41DC91167]

Life Beyond Grades: Designing College Courses to Promote Intrinsic Motivation
 www.Cambridge.org/9780521805230<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cambridge.org_9780521805230&d=DwIF-g&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=HI_T6sOTRb78QDqiScl2bfWD1J2YPsjaa7ZpbmKtVUs&s=zfYFJY-RNulw-zEc5TRxbaocI6kCWumQxOTDl234ps0&e=>
The Key To Overcoming Procrastination | TEDx PrincetonU<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3D52lZmIafep4&d=DwIF-g&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=HI_T6sOTRb78QDqiScl2bfWD1J2YPsjaa7ZpbmKtVUs&s=Z4TU4SHsmQY7HLaxjgTEhM1IO3BFSSzZPQ6IieA9WzY&e=>
[Principedia]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__principedia.princeton.edu_&d=DwIF-g&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=HI_T6sOTRb78QDqiScl2bfWD1J2YPsjaa7ZpbmKtVUs&s=R4eI_DrzTYRtFbr7voR7oZSyzbHHUYbtkW1gL3CrSg4&e=>
The Insiders’ Guide To Princeton Academics—Add Your Voice!