Hello Katie,

Here is the evolution of our hiring process. We used to require an on the spot improvisation based on a specific problem. The problem here is that the direct knowledge based answer interviewees would give was not representative of the reality of tutoring (needing to have the exact answer every moment).

We have now evolved to having content specific scenarios. We say in the prompt we do not want the interviewee to solve the problem but explain their approach given the scenario. We then have a rubric we rate the response on and content knowledge is one of those rating categories. The way that looks is how much of the vocabulary of the content do they use in describing their approach with the student. This usually is a great indicator of confidence with the material and is more realistic in that they do not need to process and reason on the spot for a specific problem type they have not seen in months.

Here is an example from one of our scenarios:

image.png

-Don't forget to learn.
William G. Hardaway
Academic Support Coordinator
PH: 559.278.3052
SM: @whardaway
Tutoring Schedule: http://bit.ly/tutsched
Tutoring Infographic: http://bit.ly/fstutinfograph
Visits Dashboard: http://bit.ly/TuVisits

Ideation || Restorative || Relator || Learner || Belief