Hi, Katie,

Welcome to the list! You can respond to messages by hitting *Reply*.

We require our student tutors to have a faculty recommendation. To save
faculty time, we have a form about content knowledge. Many of our faculty
will give us a fuller recommendation than that, which we appreciate. We
contact the faculty after getting reference names from applicants because
some faculty were concerned about confidentiality.

Our tutoring areas aren't standardized beyond that. We use a math test for
our math tutors. Our math faculty created it for us. We have a physics
faculty member who does mock tutorials with our physics applicants. I'm
certified to teach English in our district, so I require a research paper
(MLA or APA) from our writing applicants. We rely heavily on referrals from
our faculty, and they're great about helping us out.

I would encourage you to work with the faculty on these quizzes. They know
what they want students to learn and what they expect tutors to help with,
so their contributions will be invaluable.

Mary

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 8:59 AM Katie Pierce <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I am brand new to this listserv, so I apologize if this question has
> already been asked. I'm also very new to my position with tutoring
> services, so I'm hoping for some input regarding a request we've recently
> had from one of the academic colleges on our campus. They have requested
> that we work with instructors of courses to create a comprehensive
> content-specific quiz for each course that potential tutors would need to
> pass before being hired as a tutor for that course. Our current hiring
> requirements are that the student must have earned an A or B in the course
> (taken at our university) and must have an overall 3.0 GPA or better. I am
> wondering if anyone else screens applicants using a content-specific quiz.
> If so, I'd be interested to know the logistics of how you make that work.
> If not, I'd be interested in knowing what requirements you are using to
> determine if the applicant has a high enough level of content-specific
> knowledge.
>

> Again, I'm new so I'm not even sure how replying to this message works, so
> I'll include my email: [log in to unmask]
>

> Thank you for your time and consideration!
>

> Katie Pierce
>
> Interim Managing Director
>
> Academic Achievement Center Tutoring Services
>
> Kansas State University
>
> 103 Holtz Hall | 785-532-5703

[image: Paradise Valley Community College logo]
Mary Early, Ph.D.
Paradise Valley Community College
MARICOPA COMMUNITY COLLEGES
Director | Learning Success Center
18401 N. 32nd Street, Phoenix, AZ 85032
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.paradisevalley.edu__students_learning-2Dsupport-2Dcenter&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=cSccy5uFnuK12xL5awCpP7fihSjm9ZgMpwm1aEiOn0Q&s=hsB41tAD9wlYh3Y3BvFtGF9SmH7iifR1iqOkgocp8CI&e=
O: 602-787-7183