We use TutorTrac and allow students to make appointments, but we ask that
they contact us to cancel. They are able to make appointments through a
link on our website as well as the kiosk we have in the tutoring center.
They can also make an appointment with the GA or desk attendant.

By using TutorTrac it not only frees up our student workers but also the
professional employees as well. At 2 of my previous institutions the
majority of my workday consisted of making appointments and connecting
tutor with tutee appropriately. This is challenging - at best - especially
when you ask the tutee to provide you with ALL of their availability and
they only give you the times they WANT the appointment - which generally
does not work out to be when the tutors are actually available of course!

We also have TutorTrac set up with a single sign on through MyOswego which
allows the program to be linked with BANNER (our database system). This
enables the tutees to have only the courses they are registered for to show
up - and therefore only the tutors we have available for those courses come
up when they are setting up their appointment. Then e-mails are sent to
both the tutor and the tutee and they get a reminder the day before their
appointment.

I have the limits we have in place set up in TutorTrac as well. Therefore -
when they have 2 "no shows" or late cancellations they are locked out of
the system and they get an email message that they must meet with me to
discuss why they have not been attending the sessions that THEY set up -
this gives them an idea about their own accountability. After they have met
with me, and I have had a talk with them about the importance of valuing
the tutors time and the fact that other students are unable to get help
from that tutor since they had an appointment with them - and they did not
even show up - I take one of their no shows or late cancellations away. At
that time I warn them that if they get 1 more that they will no longer have
tutor appointment privileges for the rest of that semester. They can still
attend walk-ins, but no appointments after their third offense.

Another limit is that they can only set up 2 appointments per week, per
subject on an ongoing basis. If they feel they want or need more than that,
they can come see us and set up additional appointments, if there are any
available, a day or 2 in advance. This prevents tutees from setting up 4,
5, or 6 appointments at the beginning of the semester - usurping all of a
tutors availability for the entire semester at times. This also has
decreased the number of no shows we have.

There is probably more that I could tell you, but it is Friday afternoon
and that is all I can think of. Please feel free to write or call if you
have other specific questions that I could potentially help you with.

Happy Friday - have a great weekend!

Regards,

Pat

*Patricia Krauss, MS*
Director, Office of Learning Services, SUNY Oswego

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.oswego.edu_ols_&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=bfOIpFG261LziIAtnaD7NfwmPIs97tMPIx3oFZzo0tA&s=i5jVaJm9ZCv2Ei48y8we3pcHZWjIEvcLhrjzB7-qYYo&e=

Skype: Pat Krauss <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mail.google.com_mail_u_0_&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=bfOIpFG261LziIAtnaD7NfwmPIs97tMPIx3oFZzo0tA&s=8H42If6hBS1l549lCUmVhhCwrup47RlSFKnhC6BNYSI&e=> | 7060 SR 104 - MCC
181 - Oswego, NY 13126

   P please consider the environment before printing.

*Maximizer | Relator | Activator | **Adaptability | **Intellection*