[image: image.png]

HIGH-FLYING ADVENTURE AWAITS YOU IN DAYTON, OHIO AT THE ANNUAL ECWCA
CONFERENCE

*ECWCA CONFERENCE*

April 4-6, 2019

University of Dayton, Curran Place

Dayton, Ohio

*CALL FOR PROPOSALS IS NOW READY!*

*Visit: * https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ecommons.udayton.edu_ecwca_&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=LXDJKJU9r9o_QO16MXKK95h2bbYX9z67AeO_kruLy-Q&s=t0WkS3Umgq3C8KBvNrPleo_WWCFuKxpqoMqo1r_O87E&e=

The 41st Annual East Central Writing Centers Association (ECWCA) Conference
will be hosted by the University of Dayton beginning with pre-conference
activities the evening of *Thursday, April 4th*, and with conference
sessions running through *Saturday, April 6th**.*

*Featuring Michael Mattison (Wittenberg University) as the Keynote Speaker*

Known as the birthplace of aviation, Dayton understands the creative power
of invention and discovery. Let's explore how this power ignites our work
in writing centers.

*Soaring to New Heights:*

*Breakthroughs, Inventions, and Progress in Writing Centers*

SOARING. For some, the word represents a smooth flight pattern with little
visible movement. For others, it represents flying to great heights, rising
higher and higher. What, though, does soaring mean in a writing center? Do
we have smooth flight paths? Do we rise to greater and greater heights—as
tutors, as administrators, as individual centers, as a field? However you
visualize the action of soaring, consider how the work we do in writing
centers connects with that image. What challenges us to grow, adapt, and
change; what allows writers to SOAR to new heights.

And just like the Wright Brothers experienced while experimenting with the
first aircraft, oftentimes, good ideas or breakthroughs are born out of
hard work, perseverance, and the desire to serve others, perhaps leading
one to a new invention. Writing centers are wonderful examples of this kind
of “invention.” Many writing centers started as only a table and a few
chairs, perhaps in the corner of the library, in the basement of an
academic building, or at a table in a subject area tutoring office. Over
time, though, as writing centers grew and expanded, they demonstrated to
their campus communities the organic value of writing consultation sessions
and peer engagements.

The 2019 Conference explores the progress of writing centers and how they
adapt to the ever-changing needs of institutions and writers. Having fun
with Dayton’s aviation history, we want you to SOAR with us as we consider
breakthroughs, inventions, and progress in writing centers.

*Call for Proposals*

We invite writing center community members to consider how their work has
progressed over the years, impacts all who encounter the writing center at
an institution, and evolves to assist writers.

ECWCA welcomes proposals from the community of:

*writing center faculty, staff, and researchers;

*high school educators and high school writing tutors/leaders;

*college and university undergraduate and graduate tutors/consultants;
*and writers
who have experienced a writing center session.

We welcome presenters to submit proposals for:

*individual presentations or papers,

*panel discussions,

*posters,

*special interest groups/roundtables, and

*workshops.

*The deadline for proposals for the 2019 ECWCA Conference is January 7th,
2019.*

We invite presenters to consider the following questions:

   - What new inventions has your writing center discovered or leveraged
   that support the mission of writing centers?
   - What new inventions has your writing center discovered or leveraged
   that support writers?
   - How has tutor/consultant preparation and training evolved in your
   center?
   - Writing center work provides an opportunity for staff members to hone
   valuable skills leveraged in numerous professions. How does your writing
   center help staff members to reach new heights through professional
   development and training experiences?
   - What technological inventions has your writing center adopted, and how
   do these tools impact and/or change the way writing centers work?
   - What does “progress” mean for writing center work? For writers?
   Consider the types of progress in your center.
   - Writing centers are not “editing services”—a perception many of us
   deal with on our campuses. How has your center made breakthroughs around
   misguided perceptions (faculty and students) of our work?
   - What does center history (local, regional, national, international)
   tell us about the evolution of writing centers? How can we learn from our
   history?
   - How do we assess writing centers moving forward?
   - With digital composing and multi-media assignments gaining momentum in
   the classroom, how is your center responding to these new ways of composing?
   - Asynchronous, synchronous, face-to-face—writing centers reach writers
   in a variety of ways. What breakthroughs has your center experienced while
   looking for ways to accommodate the needs of writers?
   - What breakthroughs has your center experienced addressing the unique
   writing needs of international students?
   - Where has your writing center made progress collaborating with
   departments at your institution? What breakthroughs have you made through
   partnerships?

*Deadlines*

*All proposals should be submitted electronically by 11:59 PM on Monday,
January 7, 2019.

*Notification of acceptance by early February 2019.

*Travel grant applications due February 1, 2019.

*Tutor Award nominations due February 1, 2019.

*Conference early bird registration ends March 1st, 2019.

*Regular registration ends March 20, 2019.

*Registration Fees* (Early Bird)*:

The registration website will be available soon and can be accessed from
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ecommons.udayton.edu_ecwca_&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=yBiE514ByeBuT9iMcmLL81H9l3w_eWJJCNWWYb5qET4&m=LXDJKJU9r9o_QO16MXKK95h2bbYX9z67AeO_kruLy-Q&s=t0WkS3Umgq3C8KBvNrPleo_WWCFuKxpqoMqo1r_O87E&e=

*College Administrators $155

*College Consultants $105

*High School administrators $90

*High School consultants $75

*Parents, chaperones, partners of presenters $75

*All registrations levels include a required $10 dollar ECWCA membership
fee.
**Fees increase $15 dollars per category, after March 1st, 2019.

*Ready to SOAR?*

Questions can be directed to the 2019 conference mailbox at

You may also contact Christina Klimo, University of Dayton, at
[log in to unmask] or Stacie Covington, University of Dayton, at

The East Central Writing Centers Association and the University of Dayton
look forward to seeing you at *Soaring to New Heights: Breakthroughs,
Inventions, and Progress in Writing Centers* from April 4-6, 2019!

*Christina Klimo, M.A.*
Write Place Coordinator, University of Dayton

Ryan C. Harris Learning Teaching Center
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469-1302
Phone: 937-229-2068
Ohio Relay: 711 (available for individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing)