The large financial benefit to our program is that the cost of WS students is a fraction of the cost of paying a non-work-study student. Although most of our tutors are non-work-study students, there a some programs and units at our institution that only employ work-study students. The payment cycle is the same. For our institution, the payment set-up and mechanism is the basically the same regardless of whether the student is work-study or non-work-study. They are just coded differently when we send the payroll set-up spreadsheet “up the street”.

Another benefit is that because there is an income threshold that students must meet to get a work-study grant, it’s another way to ensure that there is some social-economic diversity within your staff.

The only item to be aware of is that a student’s work-study award has a yearly cap on it. So a student continuing to work that surpasses the amount may need to have the funding sources altered in order to continue working. It is worth asking your institution how that is handled so that the student and their supervisor can be made aware.

Reggie

Reggie Jean

Director

he/him/his

Upward Bound | Boston University

Two Silber Way, Room 431 | Boston, MA 02215

Phone: (617) 353-3551

Fax: (617) 353-2395

Boston University Upward Bound is now accepting student applications from 9th and 10th graders. The priority deadline is December 1.

Get the up-to-date UB news and pictures. “Like” the BU Upward Bound fan page.