Interesting discussion.

We encourage our tutors to have probing questions, not necessarily answers. We discourage our tutors from doing the student’s homework with them; instead, we ask the student to be as self-directed as possible and utilize the tutor to assist the student in figuring it out. Some may think this is a subtle difference. I think it is all the difference that makes for good tutoring!

Lynn

Lynn Schmitz

Program Director

ACCESS Peer Assisted Learning

Division of Academic Affairs

Williston Hall 100 E | DeKalb, Illinois 60115-2828

cid:B8B367D6-808F-470A-9A87-1286F00ABAD4

The secret in education is to respect the learner.

Ralph Waldo Emerson