From everything I understand, there are concerns in Learning styles assessment.  It seems that the brain scientists who study and map how we learn tend to believe we are all visual learners, given there is no visual impairment.  It’s argued that it is the sense that tops all others.  And, again given no visual impairment, vision operates in a lot of the “learning styles” modes.  For example, a kinesthetic learning may learn from tactile experience, but sight is also involved in that.  One who learns best from reading as opposed to auditory is also bringing vision into the process.  I think the most problematic thing about learning styles is that you have students who walk away thinking they can only learn one way, or that they learn best one way as opposed to the others.

I hope someone can add to the actual studies that have argued this.  I am also totally open to learning about how I may be misinformed on the topic. Great question!

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Askey, Kelly L.
Sent: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 10:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Learning Styles in Tutoring

Hi Everyone,

When I became the peer tutoring supervisor, learning styles assessments were part of the intake process for new peer tutoring students. I have continued doing this, and some students say they find it helpful, and tutors also believe it is beneficial. However, I am wondering if there is any research out there on this topic.

I have searched some academic databases, but surprisingly have not found anything on learning styles as it relates to its use in tutoring. So, if any of you have some sources you could direct me to, I’d appreciate it!

Kelly Askey lodes  |  Peer/Group Tutoring & Study Skills Development Supervisor

Academic Support Center at Florissant Valley

3400 Pershall Rd.| St. Louis, MO 63135  |voice 314.513.4073 | email [log in to unmask]